About the Brooklyn Seventh-day
The Brooklyn Seventh-day Adventist® Church has a rich and extensive
history, dating back to the beginning of Adventism. Today, it
stands as one of the oldest Seventh-day Adventist® Churches in the
Greater New York Conference of Churches, with its birth coming forth
directly from the preachings and teachings of early Adventist
pioneers, James and Ellen White.
In 1840 William Miller preached in the New
York City area. Then in 1848, James and Ellen White
visited New York City and held meetings in a certain Brother Moody’s
home in Brooklyn. By 1851 there were 13-recorded converts in
Brooklyn, and as a result the Brooklyn City Mission was established
Then, in 1898, J.N. Loughborough, the first
foreign missionary, reported one Scandinavian Church in Brooklyn.
Later came the Danish-Norwegian church. Millian Lauritz
Andreasen, a Danish-born administrator, educator and author was
credited with the development of this church. Andreasen lived
in Brooklyn from 1905-1910.
In 1911, the Brooklyn Danish-Norwegian group would split into two
churches: The Danish–Norwegian and the Swedish. The date is unclear
but these two groups eventually became The Bay Ridge Seventh-day
Adventist® Church, named after the area of Brooklyn where their
church was located.
Cash, a Norwegian-Irish Bible Worker, started evangelistic efforts
among the Italian people who lived in both Brooklyn and the Bronx.
This spawned the Italian Church that was organized in 1920 with a
membership of 17. Originally, the Bronx and Brooklyn groups
met together in Manhattan. Eventually, as they began to
increase in numbers, they were divided into two groups, each meeting
in their own respective boroughs. At first the Brooklyn group
worshipped in a building on Atlantic Avenue. Later, they
purchased a place of worship on Prospect Place in South Brooklyn,
which is now called Park Slope.
The Brooklyn Church Officially Begins
In March of 1964, the Bay Ridge Church merged with the
Italian-American Church under the leadership of Pastor William
Goransson. The Italian-American Church building on Prospect Place
was sold to the Spanish South Brooklyn congregation and the newly
merged church began to meet in the Bay Ridge Church building.
The name of the newly merged church became the Brooklyn Seventh-day
In 1978, under the leadership of Pastor Glenn Hixon, the current
building at 1260 Ocean Avenue was purchased for $150,000.
During these years of church growth, the ethnic population also
began to grow and change. In 1961, there were only three
African-American families in the Italian Church, and none in the Bay
Ridge Church. After the merger of the two churches, and
beginning in 1967, the church became a church of many nations. The
membership consisted of Scandinavians, Italians, African-Americans,
Indonesians, Latin-Americans, Pakistanis, American-born Caucasians,
Today, the congregation is comprised mainly of immigrants from the
The current Pastor is Bancroft Daughma.
He serves as our 12th minister since the church’s inception.
Throughout the years, the Brooklyn Church has fostered the growth of
other churches in Brooklyn. Churches that were formed through
association with the Brooklyn Seventh-day Adventist® Church are:
Maranatha, New Haven, French Jerusalem, and New Jerusalem.
As we reflect upon the growth of our church, we can truly say:
Surely God has led us!
And as we look ahead, we are strengthened knowing this: who we are
and what we are today, as a church and as a denomination, is built
on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ, supported by the strong
“pillars” of the early pioneers of Adventism. As we continue
our march forward toward that Great Day when our Lord returns, we
pray that He will find the members of His church without spot and
blemish, and we are all able to hear Christ say, “Well done, thy
good and faithful servant.”
Note: Hazel Helen Meade who has attended the Brooklyn Seventh-day
Adventist® Church since 1960 researched this history. The
information was gathered from primary sources (older members of both
Danish-Norwegian and Italian-American extraction, plus the writer’s
own recollections), as well as secondary sources (Volume 10 of the
Seventh-day Adventist Commentary).